Gnocchi is such a simple and easy food to make, but when mixed with Jin-Ai Organic VelveTea matcha powder, it brings it to a whole new level. The matcha flavor is not overwhelming, but adds the beautiful green color and hint of flavor. These skewers are a delicious appetizer idea and can be mixed and matched with different foods. You can also enjoy a bowl of gnocchi with a creamy alfredo sauce. Gnocchi is a pretty measurement sensitive recipe, so weigh ingredients for the best results.
Makes approx. 30 skewers
· 1 Tbsp. Jin-Ai Organic VelveTea matcha powder
· 750 g yellow flesh potatoes (about 5)
· 130 g all purpose flour
· 1 large egg yolk
· ¼ tsp. Salt
· 10 ml olive oil
· 30 g parmesan cheese, shaved for garnish
· Cherry tomatoes
· Bocconcini balls
· Basil leaves
1. Wash potatoes and place directly in oven, on rack for about 45-55 minutes, until fully cooked. Check by inserting a knife in the middle of potatoes, it should go through with very little force.
2. Cool potatoes slightly, for 10 minutes, and then remove skin and discard.
3. Using either a ricer or a box grater, rice or grate potatoes into a bowl while still warm. Measure out 500g of riced or grated potatoes, this is all you will need.
4. On a floured surface, mix into the 500 g grated potatoes the egg yolk, followed by a sifted mixture of salt, flour and matcha. Knead gently, being careful not to overmix. Using more flour as needed, separate the dough into 4 equal pieces.
5. Roll out the warm dough into long ropes, 2cm in diameter. From the long ropes, cut gnocchi into 3cm pieces and using your finger or a fork, pinch into desired shape. Set aside on parchment paper until ready to cook.
6. In a boiling pot of salted water, cook gnocchi in batches. Gnocchi is done once they float to the top of the water. Remove, toss in olive oil and skewer with tomatoes, bocconcini, and fresh basil.